2- Set for success Part 2 – Habits
The topic of habits is in my opinion one of the most important things you can learn about and immediately apply to your life .
The reason it is the first topic we discuss in this series is because without the right habits set and the right practices put in place you can have a tough time plotting your course and arriving at your desired destination.
Learning how to perform a select few mundane tasks everyday with excitement and enthusiasm is the real secret to achieving success in anything you are pursuing . The right habits will propel you ahead at a rate you may he surprised to experience but as with anything positive there is also the negative balance . Negative habits that go corrected will cause the same shift in the wrong directions .
Cruise 🚢 line example
What is a habit ?
a settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up.
4 steps to linking your habits to your goals
- Define 2 current habits you perform daily
- Is this habit positive or negative ?
- If negative write down a positive habit you can replace this with over a couple weeks (geared towards your goal)
- Set a 30 day habit schedule – track your daily progress (good and bad days)
Michael Jordan 10,000 free throws to master it . He set his habits everyday and then spent the majority of his time focused on a few specific habits that would produce the most targeted results for his goals .
A farmer does not boast that he has had a good harvest until his stock of yams lasts till the following harvest season.
- Nigerian proverb
Replacing the bad with the good habits is something I highly recommend especially when you are first starting out .
My story – health fitness
Here is what the Bible says about habits…
“Slack habits and sloppy work are as bad as vandalism”
- Proverbs 18:9
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.
Your new habits plan should start today
- Write down 5 habits you’d like to either start or replace
- Link each habit to a specific goal
- Goal: save 10,000
- Habit: Limit spending: practice bringing a lunch or cutting 1-2 meals eating out a week and automatically deduct $500 a month from your bank account every month for 15 months (and adjust your spending)
- Set 30 day plans for these new habits as well as breaking or replacing old negative habits (21 days) I say 30 to be sure it sticks
- Track your results every day then look over the 30 day results to see your progress And how much those small habit shifts have helped